The following data comprises inaugural market indices representing the investment performance of professionally-graded trading cards over the past decade. Each index aims to present the ROI (Return-on-Investment) of a specific grouping of graded cards. Additional PWCC Indices will be built over time, some of which will feature specialized subsets of the larger market (i.e. pre-war baseball, modern basketball, and others). The indices presented stem from a valuable data set provided by our valued partners at VintageCardPrices.com. That data has been assembled, ... See Full Description filtered, and compiled into the indices displayed.
The following are key inputs to PWCC Index creation:
- Only auction sales are included. Private or buy-it-now retail sales are omitted as they don’t represent a true gauge of a supply and demand open marketplace.
- All data is comprised entirely of PSA-graded cards because they represent 80% of the market population for graded trading cards and thereby afford the greatest number of apples-to-apples market sale comparisons.
- Only grades PSA 4 and up were considered across all years.
- All data is limited to years earlier than 2000; as such, much of the modern card market is currently not represented. Expansion into years 2000 and later will be addressed in the coming months.
- A trade frequency requirement is applied to all possible trading cards and must be satisfied for inclusion in the PWCC Indices; any card which has sold a minimum of 10 times in the last 10 years and at least 2 times in the last 12 months is eligible.
- An outlier algorithm is triggered if a recent sale widely over/under performs current market averages; subsequent sales will either confirm or deny the flagged sale as being valid for inclusion in the index or omitted as an outlier.
- Those sales which satisfy both the trade frequency and outlier filters are sorted by average market sales price, which is calculated to be the average of the last three auction sales, and then segmented into the various PWCC Indices; PWCC 100 therefore represents the 100 cards with the highest average market value, the PWCC 500 represents the 500 cards with the highest average market value, etc.
- The PWCC indices are dynamic, meaning certain cards will be included and omitted from the indices in compliance with the stated trade frequency requirement.
- The PWCC Indices ARE NOT intended to be read as a universal gauge of the market since cards 2000-2017 are not represented. Similarly, countless immeasurably important cards which don’t meet the trade frequency requirement are not included due to their inherent rarity (i.e. T206 Honus Wagner) and cards in high grades which are low population (i.e. 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle in grades higher than PSA 8) are not included.
- The outlier algorithm flags any recent sale with a hammer price that varies more than 50% from the previously validated hammer price (higher or lower). When this occurs, the subsequent sale will either validate or invalidate the flagged sale; if the subsequent sale is within 30% of the flagged sale (higher or lower) both sales are validated; otherwise the prior sale is labeled an outlier and omitted from the dataset. It is important to note that quality and corresponding price for a given card in a single grade can vary widely; our PWCC Certified High End designation is designed to highlight cards of superior quality and often times these cards sell for premiums which our software flags as outliers. While record prices for High End cards are certainly valid sales, they don’t always represent the predictable market to investors, which is a primary goal of the indices.
- We encourage all users of this tool to forward constructive feedback to email@example.com.
ROI Since Jan 2008
*PWCC Indices are built upon initial data sets provided by our partners at VintageCardPrices.com
|#||Category||Title||Mkt. Value||5 Yr ROI||10 Yr ROI|
|Sign In to View Market Value|
|1||Baseball||1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 PSA 8||Sign In to View|
|2||Baseball||1954 Topps Hank Aaron #128 PSA 9|
|3||Baseball||1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle #253 PSA 8|
|4||Baseball||1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 PSA 7|
|5||Baseball||1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #149 PSA 8|
|6||Baseball||1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 PSA 6|
|7||Baseball||1963 Topps 1963 Rookie Stars #537 PSA 9|
|8||Basketball||1980 Topps Bird/Erving/Johnson #16 PSA 10|
|9||Baseball||1993 SP Derek Jeter (FOIL) #279 PSA 10|
|10||Baseball||1910 Anonymous "Set of 30" Ty Cobb #8 PSA 9|
|11||Baseball||1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #144 PSA 8|
|12||Baseball||1951 Bowman Willie Mays #305 PSA 8|
|13||Baseball||1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #181 PSA 8|
|14||Baseball||1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson #79 PSA 8|
|15||Baseball||1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 PSA 5|
|16||Baseball||1955 Topps Roberto Clemente #164 PSA 8|
|17||Baseball||1980 Topps Rickey Henderson #482 PSA 10|
|18||Baseball||1953 Topps Mickey Mantle #82 PSA 8|
|19||Baseball||1952 Topps Willie Mays #261 PSA 8|
|20||Baseball||1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle #253 PSA 7|
|21||Baseball||1968 Topps Mets Rookies #177 PSA 9|
|22||Baseball||1956 Topps Mickey Mantle (Gray Back) #135 PSA 9|
|23||Baseball||1948 Bowman Stan Musial #36 PSA 9|
|24||Basketball||1957 Topps Bill Russell #77 PSA 8|
|25||Baseball||1955 Topps Harmon Killebrew #124 PSA 9|
Download Entire PWCC 2500
Trading Card List (xlsx)
We wish to afford all users of the PWCC Indices tool ultimate transparency regarding data, its sources, filters, and ultimate summaries. Our purpose is to educate the members of our collector/investor community with the best data humanly possible. Below is a link providing access to the complete list of the cards which comprise the various PWCC Indices and the summary statistics which have stemmed from our analyses. As all indices are currently based on a single large data set, there is only one file to download. As specialized data sets are introduced, we will afford users further granularity to view only those entries which pertain to an index of interest. As stated above, we encourage feedback and welcome all users to submit actionable comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please sign in to download PWCC index files.